Home > Information A-Z > All Kids Information Articles > When They Start Taking Diapers Off
When They Start Taking Diapers Off:
Inevitably, babies will reach that phase where they take their diapers off constantly. This is before potty training time, when they aren't taking the diaper off because it is wet or dirty, they are simply taking it off because they have figured out how, and it's a fun thing to do. There are a few precautions you can take during this phase to try to keep your child from doing this. They work best when you start at the top and work to the bottom, this way as they figure out how to get around it, you can implement a new one. Not all of them will work, and eventually you will run out of preventative measure, but the goal is to keep introducing new difficulties for your child until they eventually quit taking their diaper off.
• Put clothes on over the diaper—usually babies begin taking off their diaper before they have figured out how to take off their clothes, so keep pants or shorts on your child can help temporarily.
• Put more clothes on your baby—once your child figures out how to take their pants off, the next step is to put more clothes on them, preferably ones that are harder to get off. If your child has figured out how to pull their pants off, you may want to start putting a onesie on under that. If your child has figured out how to unbutton a onesie, you can switch to putting pants on over them, or even under them if necessary.
• Put it on backwards—once your child has reached the part of this phase where they can take off whatever you put on them and find their way to the diaper, you can start putting the diaper on backwards. There is no telling how long this may last, they may figure it out the first day, they may not figure it out until weeks later, or they may give up trying.
• Tape—when a baby has figured out how to get the backwards diaper off, you can use electrical tape (or some other form of tape) wrapped completely around the diaper. Just be sure not to tape it too tightly.
• The Ultimate Combo—once your baby can take off several layers of clothes, can take off a backwards diaper, and can take off tape that has been wrapped around them multiple times you will need to go to extraordinary measures of prevention. Combine them all: put a backwards diaper on your baby, tape it up, and put on a couple of layers of clothes. If you reach this method, it is likely that your child will still be able to get to their diaper, but the goal is to make it so difficult that, even though they can do it, they get frustrated and give up before they get to it.
Some of these may work for you, or maybe none of them will. The only way of ever knowing is to try it, and hope that they move on to a new obsession before you hit the Ultimate Combo.
If you go through all of these phases, and are employing the Ultimate Combo method of diaper protection, and your child still takes it off all the time, you might want to consider beginning potty training. If your child is old enough that they can figure all of this out without turning their attention to something else, they can probably understand the concept of going to the potty.
Copyright 2013. All educational materials are the sole property of Kid First Internet and are available for the benefit of our parents. Duplication or use of any material requires the express consent of Kids First Internet.
Click Here to Browse Diapers
Browse information articles by category:
Health and Safety
Nutrition and Feeding
Behavior and Discipline
Diapers and Potty Training
Playtime activities and toys
Napping and Nighttime
View All Articles
Kids Bedding Information Center:
Nursery and Crib Safety
Kids Bedding Gift Giving
Crib and Nursery Sizes
Materials and Fabrics
Boys Bedding and Girls Bedding
Kids and Baby Bedding Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best kids bedding brands? A look at some of the best kids bedding sets.
What comes in the different crib and nursery sets? Know exactly what you are ordering - before you order.
How do I choose the perfect kids bedding gift? Here are three simple rules for picking out a wonderful kids bedding or baby bedding set!
How can I create a safe nursery? A short article on safety and kids bedding and baby bedding.
How do I clean my kids bedding? Tips and directions to make your kids bedding set last forever.
How long does it take for my kids bedding purchase to arrive? Read about why it is important to order kids bedding several weeks in advance.
Why buy kids bedding or baby bedding online? Learn why we can offer the best prices on kids bedding.